Executive Board Meeting Jan 18th 2017

You are here: Meeting Minutes Executive Board Meeting Jan 18th 2017

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1550

    The Executive Committee of NORPAC met for dinner at 5:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2017, at The Sizzler Restaurant in Tukwila. Those attending were: Randy & Margie Cook, Jerry & Tracey Galland, Dennis & Glena Gorley, Ron Kearns, Gene Sanders, Dale Scott, Dennis Simpson, and Trever Waltos. Following our meal, we met for another couple hours and discussed a variety of topics.

    Thank You Notes. Bob & Deanna Partlow have purchased/donated a nice step stool for use with NORPAC’s sleigh. Dale agreed to send a thank you card to them for their gift to NORPAC. He will also send a thank you to Troy Kearns of Expresso Products Direct for his generous donations of products for the gift bags distributed at the annual Santa Workshop at the Great Wolf Lodge.

    Certificates of Completion. Discussion took place about whether we should give certificates of completion for those attending the annual santa workshop at Great Wolf Lodge. If you have samples of similar certificates, please send them to Dennis Gorley.

    Support of Charitable Activity. We continue to search for a particular charity that NORPAC can support on an ongoing basis. Trever will talk with Bob Partlow about our possibly expanding our support of Rick Rizzs’s “Toys for Kids” program, and Ron will talk with a contact he has at Fort Lewis to see if there’s a group or organization we might support there.

    Review of 2016. We briefly discussed several of the NORPAC activities from 2016:
    Tacoma Rainiers Baseball Game – We enjoyed that event and plan to do it again in 2017, Dennis G. reported that he’s made a deposit on tickets for the game on Sunday, July 16th.
    Seattle Mariners Baseball Game – We’ll likely do this again in 2017, perhaps in conjunction with “Toys for Kids” drive.
    New Day Northwest – We agreed that the appearance of several of us on this King 5 morning TV show was a good thing that we’d likely want to repeat. Dennis S. will look into whether we can get a featured spot on the program instead of appearing mostly as just audience members as we did in 2016. Our goal of trying to “get out the word” for folks to plan and book early would be better served if we can get an actual interview by the program’s host.
    Seattle Sounders Soccer – NORPACS attendance at a Sounders soccer game was mentioned as a possible new activity for 2017.

    Review of 7th Annual Northwest Santa Workshop. We reviewed the agenda and evaluations from the workshop last Nov. 3-5 at the Great Wolf Lodge. The consensus was that we want to continue holding the workshop at the Great Wolf Lodge, and we are generally pleased with the workshop schedule that’s been developed. Responding to some feedback from the evaluations, Ron will check with GWL to see if we can get the same room rate for anyone choosing to stay for another (Saturday) night. (That would allow less pressure to check out quickly on Sat. morning, as well as the option to change into Santa/Mrs. Claus costume(s) in your own room). Ron also said that he’d check into whether NORPAC’s santa workshop might be mentioned on either the GWL website, or perhaps on the reader board at the hotel. We discussed the possibility of an earlier date for the workshop; Ron will visit with GWL about options in that regard.
    Considerable discussion centered on the 50/50 raffle and whether we should make some changes in that regard. Some feel that perhaps too much emphasis is now placed on winning the 50/50 pot. Dennis G. suggested that the total number of tickets in the 50/50 drawing could be counted and 50% of that number would be the winning amount. Dale suggested that a different color ticket could be sold just for the 50/50 drawing. The effect of either of these changes would be to lessen the total 50/50 payout (and retain more dollars in the NORPAC treasury). We’ll continue to discuss this item.
    Trever suggested that NORPAC hire Robert Sutter (“Santa True”) and bring him to the workshop to present several workshops for us. This would be in lieu of our members doing the various presentations. Santa True is a leading Santa at the national level and does presentations on a variety of topics. Trever and Dennis S. attended one of his sessions last summer in Branson and were very impressed. It was also shared that a presenter of this caliber might help us increase attendance at the workshop. Ron moved that we pursue this possibility, Randy 2nded, motion passed unanimously. Trever will continue his contacts with Santa True.

    Proposed Budget for 2017. Dennis G. presented the proposed budget for 2017. He used the actual Income and Expenditures that took place in 2016 as the projected amounts for 2017. The proposed budget was approved unanimously. As of 1/1/2017, NORPAC’s treasury balance stood at $3,766.61, with $431.03 in Savings and $3,285.48 in Checking.

    Upcoming Meetings. After discussion, it was decided that Dennis S. will contact Billy McHale’s Restaurant in Federal Way and see if they can accommodate our scheduled meetings on Feb. 4, Apr. 1, and June 3. If they cannot accommodate us on Feb. 4, we’ll likely return to the Sizzler in Tukwila.

    NORPAC Membership Dues for 2017 are due for those who haven’t already paid them.

    Executive Board Insurance. Ron began a discussion of whether or not we are insured as an Exec. Board in the event that one of our members (and the NORPAC organization) is sued. Dennis S. replied that our meetings and activities are insured through IBRBS, but not the Exec. Board itself. Santa Ron will look into details for future consideration and Santa Dennis S will contact IBRBS to inquire as to how they may assist us regarding board member’s protection.
    We also spent time discussing how to deal with a concern or complaint that has been made against one of our former members. Dennis S. reviewed Article 10. Conduct and Appearance from NORPAC’s By-laws. It was concluded that complaints will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis and that if the individual in question applies to renew his membership, a Disciplinary Committee consisting of our two co-presidents and the treasurer will meet with that person and a decision made following such meeting

    Santa Tim Connaghan has let Dennis S. know that’s he’s planning to do his “University of Santa Claus” workshop in the Seattle area again this year and Tim wanted to not conflict with dates of planned NORPAC activities. Dennis will get back to him with some dates to avoid.

    Meeting adjourned at 7:50 PM.

    Next Meeting: Feb. 4, 2017 12:00-Noon at Billy McHale’s in Federal Way (location to be confirmed)

    Respectfully submitted,
    Dale Scott, Secretary

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Meeting Minutes’ is closed to new topics and replies.

You are here: Meeting Minutes Executive Board Meeting Jan 18th 2017

Comments are Closed